Sunday, April 29, 2012

A Soldier's Motivation

Back in the days of the Civil War, many people joined the military because of simple reasons like a desire for adventure, a need for the money that was given, an escape from the boredom of daily life, out of loyalty to their country or state, or just because their friends or neighbors were also enrolling in the military. Nowadays, some of the reasons are the same. People are still motivated by the payment given, or by the fact that their friends are also joining. Many people still feel a sense of duty to their country and enroll because of that. However, no one enrolls to find adventure in war or to escape boredom. These days, joining the military and fighting in battles don't give the same sense of adventure as before in the times of the Civil War. Many people would prefer to stay in their safe homes rather than face constant danger on the battlefields.
To some people, the risk that comes with joining the military is worth it. To others, it's not. It all depends on their own opinions. Many think that it is worth it because they feel a strong sense of duty to serve the country. They take pride by fighting for their country and also find a way to prove their loyalty. Others who think different would feel that the chances of death are too high and that there are too many dangers along the way.
If I was a soldier, the hardest thing for me would probably be the fact that I would be separated from my family and loved ones. Not seeing them for several months would prove to be emotionally difficult. Any second during a battle may be my last, and that would mean that I could never see them again. I would be constantly worried about my family and wishing that nothing tragic occurred. In addition, the chances of death and the physical training involved would also scare me, so I probably would not have joined the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment