Sunday, April 29, 2012

A soldier's motivation

People join the army for different reasons, some that still remain today. For example, some people today join the army to show their loyalty to their country, or for the meager, yet satisfying pay. Still others join to find glory on the battlefield. However, people now usually don't join the military because of peer pressure or to seek adventure or excitement. These reasons why Americans joined the Civil War, or would join the military. I, personally, wouldn't join military to fight in the Civil War because I think being away from my family and friends would be really hard. People living in that time period couldn't communicate as easily as we can today. In addition, I don't think I have the physical or emotional strength to be involved in a war, nor the drive and ambition. Also, when weighing the pros and cons to join the army, the risk of being killed for glory or money is too high to ignore. But I still feel a loyalty to my country so I would find some way to help, like sending food and supplies or housing troops.

No comments:

Post a Comment