Sunday, May 13, 2012

Glory

While watching Glory, I was surprised by the way they fought. I thought that the army would have a better strategy than to keep on charging forward and it was even more surprising that soldiers didn't abandon when it was very likely they were going to be shot out in that open field. Later on, in the colored regiment, I was really shocked that Trip's punishment was being whipped and that Shaw didn't try to make another more suitable punishment. Seeing Trip's bloody, blistered feet made me think about how unfairly the african americans were treated and how the colored regiment stayed together despite how unfairly they were being treated compared to the white soldiers. I learned that most likely, if you became an african american soldier, you would never be treated fairly and never get the things you deserve. You would be surrounded by people who considered you worthless and never be taught right, but it seemed as though they still had the motivation to continue as a soldier. The movie was a bit too dramatic as are most movies, but I think it all in all gave a good interpretation of what the 54th regiment went through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment