Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Glory" Reflection

  The movie "Glory" portrayed how the colored regiment, such as the 54th Massachusetts, lived their life in the army. This movie was not a "Hollywood" movie. I thought that the movie described their life pretty accurately. For instance, the colored regiment weren't allowed to fight in the army. I thought this was kind of harsh because  that was the reason the colored men joined the army in the first place. The colored regiment also didn't get enough supplies like shoes. Also, the colored regiment were paid less. when the white soldiers were paid $13, the black soldiers were paid $10. "Glory" showed us how high was the tension between the blacks and the whites. In the movie when the colored soldiers and the white soldiers met, they started fighting right away.
  In the movie "Glory", I was really surprised when Shaw read out the announcement for the confederate, not one of the men left the army. the announcement stated the any slaves or free black man that serves in the Union army would be put to death. I was surprised that that was how determined the black soldiers were. Also, another thing is that the African-American soldiers endured hardcore, strict training and was discriminated but still did not leave the army. I thought they would give up because the training was too harsh. i learned form the movie how much hardships are there in the army for the African Americans. When I saw Trip's feet, i was shocked that they endured that much pain. I really enjoyed this movie and this movie taught me how the colored regiment was like.

1 comment:

  1. Even though they had to deal with harsh training, I honestly do not think it was any different than the harsh treatment they received from their slave masters. I think the main reason they stayed was that they were actually cared for more in the army than as a slave.

    ReplyDelete